Thursday, January 19, 2017

Steakout

There's been a phrase from Michael Pollan that has been running through My mind for a few months now:

"Eat food.  Not too much.  Mostly plants."

I have a longstanding love-hate relationship with edible plants.  I've been a vegetarian in the past, once for a 10-year run, but in the end I was done in by a craving for barbecue chicken.  I've blogged about My reticence for making salads, and written a how-to on how to sneak up on vegetables.

Well, I'm back on the veggie wagon again, although with an intention to reach out and snag the occasional bit of animal flesh on the way down the road.  Yes, I can haz cheezburger.

I'm just tired of mediocre meat products, much in the same way as I recently tired of mediocre wine.  Few things are as frustrating as spending good money on an alleged piece of steak, only to cook it and find that you actually purchased a piece of shoe leather.  I do make a pretty good beef stew, but that's not exactly the kind of thing one can do at 10:00 on a weekday night if one expects to get to bed at a reasonable hour.

Chickpea curry, however, I can have on the table in 30 minutes flat -- including rice, chutney, and other accoutrements.

Springy G:  Now with 30% less carnivore.

No comments: