Thursday, March 12, 2015

JWI...

...Juggling While Intoxicated.  I don't think it's illegal, but maybe it should be.

To set the scene:  I've returned from Thursday evening band practice, eaten a late supper, unpacked My clarinet, and done a few minutes of meditation.  It's now approaching 11 p.m., and there are a few spare minutes that can be used to advance a project.  The most likely one is My current 6-week challenge at Nerd Fitness, where I am an active member of the Rebellion.  For this challenge I'm working with the Assassins Guild, a group that specializes in bodyweight exercises and things like parkour, Pilates and... circus arts.  According to the title of My current challenge thread, I've run off to join the circus and am dabbling in circus music, coin tricks, feats of strength and juggling.

So here I am in My office at 11 o'clock on a Thursday night, trying to keep three street hockey balls airborne.  All the while, I have the Louis Prima classic "Sing, Sing, Sing" bouncing around in the audio-processing part of My brain because we were working on it this evening.

Oh, and did I mention the Havana that I drank with supper?

All of a sudden, in My imagination I "hear" the voice of My childhood idol Magic Tom Auburn, a fine gentleman and stage magician, an institution of Montreal TV in the 1960s:
Magic Tom:  You're a nice lady.  It would be a pity if you didn't pursue your passion.

Me:  I guess I am passionate about magic.  (long, thoughtful pause) Would you be My mentor?

Magic Tom:  Certainly.  (observes the way I'm manipulating the juggling balls)  You're tensing up.  Don't struggle against them. Just let them go, and it'll happen.
I relaxed ever so slightly -- Not entirely because of the rum and pineapple juice, either -- and found an extra split-second that allowed Me to launch a ball before the incoming one landed.  I was juggling, for real.

In time to "Sing, Sing, Sing," no less.

Next up:  Springy G figures out how to do the Magic Tom trick where you fill a tube with candies by tapping it with a magic wand.  Always loved that one.




No comments: