Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Springy G and the Enchanted Bobsled Run

(slings Her clarinet knapsack over the back of the chair and sits down) Hei! I'm back from rehearsal. I joined a community band last week, so this was practice #2. My brain is full of new tunes, and My lower lip is ever so slightly numb.

The rehearsals are in North Kildonan, one of the more boreal areas of Winnipeg. To get there, I have to go "over the Disraeli" -- A short stretch of freeway followed by a longer series of bridge spans that go over the Red River and a lot of buildings.

When I come home after practice, it's later at night so the traffic has eased off, and the view from the bridge is quite spectacular. Tonight I had the Joe Jackson song "Steppin' Out" (one of My all-time favourite tunes) playing in My head as I came over the first rise and saw the city lights. It's a living postcard, Everycity, twinkling on the horizon like an Oz that had been desaturated in Photoshop.

Not that that's a bad thing, mind you: I think Winnipeg looks much better in late-evening greyscale than in emerald green. But I digress.

The fun comes at the downtown end of the bridge, where the Disraeli swoops down at an alarmingly steep angle and takes a 30° turn to the right. These two distortions of 3D space, compounded with residual ice from last week's snowstorm, put this little stretch of road in Xtreme Sports territory.

I don't think I'll be joining the Canadian bobsled team any time soon, though.

Or the Jamaican one, either.

1 comment:

Elke said...

ooh I love that image of the bobsled run...

I also love the description of the city as viewed from that bridge series...