Monday, January 17, 2011

Okay, pencils down!

Reeds, too. You over there in the striped shirt--Put down the clarinet and back away slowly.

I've just put My horn away for the third time today, having finished half an hour of practice after a 45-minute lesson and My Royal Conservatory Grade 6 exam.

To get to this point, I had to rehearse 2 pieces (Nocturne by Luigi Bassi and Divertimento #1 by Mozart), 6 studies (half Galper, half Nocenti), plus scales (chromatic plus 12 each major and minor harmonic, plus 12 minor melodic, just because) and arpeggios (12 major and 12 minor).

Let's just say that by the time we got to the sight-reading and the ear tests, My fingers were ready for a nice coffee break... Which Red and I had after I packed up the clarinet for the first time and went trundling out to the car with the certain knowledge that...

"It's over! The exam is over! Woot!"

I have no idea what My mark is going to be, but I do feel a nice calm inside. The pieces went well, and I and My accompanist played together very well. The studies were fine, and I actually was un-panicked enough to throw in some nice dynamic changes here and there.

The arpeggios were okay, too.

That chromatic scale, however... *shudder*

And in all My years of playing clarinet (about 5½ years of lessons so far), I have never experienced the phenomenon of the reed *and* My tongue drying out simultaneously.

(pauses to sip a glass of Pinot Grigio) Ah, that's better. Remind Me to schedule My next RCM exam for some season other than the dead of winter.

No comments: