Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Springy Boot Camp 2010

Awright, you grunts, suck in them divine guts! Hup! Hup!

Ah, fitness. *grumble grumble* All those years of lifting weights and practicing martial arts and swimming and yoga and walking several miles to and from work and jogging past the occasional Rolling Stones concert because I couldn't get tickets... You'd think that My body would stay fit.

Well, it didn't. And that's why I'm trying to do something about it.

Currently, due to ongoing leg problems (including but not limited to patellofemoral syndrome, lymphedema, osteoarthritis, various remote fractures and sprains and pulled ligaments, and generalized crankiness) I'm waiting to get into physiotherapy and won't be heading back to karate any time soon. If I want to flex My knees more than 45 degrees, there had better be a wall or railing nearby, or there's going to be a lot of cursing and swearing going on.

Ironic: I can touch the floor with the palms of both hands with both My legs ramrod straight; kneel on the ground for prolonged periods while gardening; even do a respectable front split with little or no warm-up.

But step up off the sidewalk to get onto a bus? Ow.

So now I'm looking for alternate ways to shape Myself up a bit and take off some of the load. To this end, I've decided that I need low-impact aerobics and core stabilization (translation: killer abs and back muscles.)

I'm already walking home from work at least a couple of days a week, which is good for an hour of rather laid-back cardio; but it's not enough. After an inspired Internet search for "dance aerobics" I found something called "Bollyrobics," essentially Bollywood-style dance moves with a rather pleasing beat. Learning dance steps has never come easily to Me, but I managed to follow along for a good ten minutes without My brain exploding.

As for the core stabilization, I went upstairs and fetched Rover, a terrifyingly mauve exercise ball that was last seen trying to fetch Patrick McGoohan back to some weird little island Village. Rover is now My official Clarinet Practice Chair. Try sitting on that for an hour while playing G# minor melodic scales, the a piacere sections in Nocturne by Luigi Bassi, or *ack!* Page 22 by Gustave Langenus.

That which does not kill Me makes Me stronger...

No comments: