Monday, September 21, 2009

Whatever you do, don't blame the equipment.

As I sit here trying to get some consistent sounds out of My clarinet, I am reminded that music-making is My responsibility, *not* the responsibility of the instrument. It does help to have a good-quality piece of musical gear; but ultimately, I'm the one who has to place My fingers and blow into the horn in just the right way.

This all came to mind this evening as I was working on a Mozart piece still fairly new to Me, while struggling with a fresh #3 Vandoren reed. Obviously (I thought to Myself), there are people out there who use much harder reeds, right out of the box. At some point in their practice, they build up the muscle memory and embouchure strength, and the notes just flow out.

I'm not quite there yet.

But I'm closer than I've ever been. Just the other night, I started to feel what 'breath support' actually means when playing a piece. I really have to concentrate on keeping the airflow going in some passages, but when I do the pitch rings true and, ironically, I don't run out of breath as soon.

I'm still trying to negotiate the release of My tongue, however. It's been taken hostage by the infamous Langenus Page 22. (picks a few splinters out of Her tongue and starts working on that infamous, galloping staccato exercise)

No comments: