Friday, July 3, 2009

Whatever you do, don't say 'Asparagus'!

Aaaaa! (dives under desk)

I just spent an hour and a half dealing with three grocery bags full of the aforementioned vegetable... About ten pounds of the stuff.

A group of us at work purchased a very large box of... you know... from a local farmer. After I got My share, I also volunteered to take away all the little bits and pieces at the bottom of the box. I'd much rather see the *sp*r*g*s in My compost bin than the dumpster out back.

So I sorted out all the nice thin pieces, a large pile for Me and the Astrejurhof crowd, and a slightly smaller pile for My parental units, and put them in the fridge for later consumption.

And then I put a big pot on the stove, and blanched and bagged most of what remained. I filled five, count 'em, five medium-size freezer bags; then I cut the remainder into bite-size pieces and relegated them to the compost heap.

So if a squirrel knocks on your door asking for a dish of melted butter, you know Whom to blame.

No comments: