Monday, June 22, 2009

The joys of feeding antipasto to the cat

*kachunk*

(checks timecard) June 21, 2009; 00:52 hours. Seven minutes overtime... Aah, not worth the paperwork for seven minutes.

Welcome to summer, folks. Sorry I'm late... I had a particularly onerous onslaught of random equipment malfunctions to deal with. My spring equinox gig ended just after midnight Saturday night; but equipment snafus are 24/7/365.

It all started when I attempted to uninstall some of the programs on My Fedora desktop system. Lo and behold, by the time I noticed that Firefox and Open Office and the *ahem* software add/remove tool had also been uninstalled, there wasn't a heck of a lot I could do about it.

Except boot the system from a rescue CD and get My data the heck off the computer before something really nasty happened.

Unfortunately, My moribund system had been installed with a LVM partition, a rather odd beast that did not auto-mount either under Knoppix or Ubuntu. So I did what any self-respecting geek goddess would do: I installed an FTP server on My Windows XP box and used Fedora 9 in recovery mode to start My network card and conjure up a shell. This enabled Me to finally see the LVM partition. Then, using the command line version of FTP, I proceeded to move four years' worth of novels over to the aforementioned Windows system.

So that's how I spent most of Saturday night, and why I missed the end of My vernal equinox shift and clocked out a few minutes late.

Somewhere in the middle of all this madness and cyber-angst, I did manage to blend up a glorious Havana Frappé (White rum, pineapple juice, lemon juice, and a maraschino cherry) and allowed Ludwig to finish off a bowl of antipasto. And then I went back upstairs and transferred files until I couldn't see straight. For the record, I blame the FTP client, not the Havana Frappé.

Come Sunday evening, I decided to expedite matters somewhat and did some more research on the ins and outs of the LVM file system. A quick scan of a few Linux help forums found this wonderful page that explained exactly how to mount a Fedora LVM volume while booted up from My Ubuntu live CD.

Of course, in order to get access to My own home directory, I had to mount the file system as read-write instead of read-only, and gave Myself permission(s) to wreak havoc with the command sudo chmod 777 ...

... Did a quick Samba shuffle over to the Windows system ...

... And dumped another 30 gigabytes of files across the network.

(CD tray slides out; Astreja K. switches Her KVM switch to other computer) Ah, it's done!

**REBOOT**

I now have a shiny new Fedora Core 9 installation, instead of the rather neurotic FC6/FC10 system that recently expired.

Best of all... My sound card works again!

Life is good.


No comments: