Monday, January 5, 2009

What Matters?

For the first post of 2009, I've decided to catch up on a bit of homework. I have been assigned the task of answering the question of what's important in My life, and in this post I'm going to try to answer it.

Or at least dance around waving My arms, trying to lure the answer out into the open.

First of all, I like being busy... But it's a very specific kind of busy. If I'm working merrily away at something, the last thing I want is for someone to come along, interrupt the work at hand, and divert my attention onto a completely different task. I find it stressful in the extreme.

And yet, I have no problems sitting here typing out this blog post while holding a skein of yarn and two knitting needles. (pauses to knit a few stitches) I find that attention tends to follow sight, or at very least, follow whatever sense is dominant at any particular moment. As to why My particular attention likes to jump from one thing to another so frequently, I don't know.

I like to be there for friends, to help them work on projects, and I like it when they reciprocate. At the same time, I've been known to spend hours at this desk, alone with My own stuff.

I really, really like to start projects. But I have a tendency to let them trail away behind Me like a string of half-painted beads. (Getting better with this one, but it's a constant struggle to stay on top of things and not jump off into something new.)

I like to learn new things (and again, I've started to learn quite a few things but taken only a few to the next level).

I like to twist memes and paradigms and clichés until they break, then glue them together into something weird. I love the absurd. I enjoy making people laugh.

I love rock 'n' roll (insert Joan Jett impersonation here). Once I jumped down from a stepladder and raced down a flight of stairs to hear a live performance of "The Story In Your Eyes" by the Moody Blues. It was so worth it.

Then again, once I raced down a flight of stairs in search of a dictionary, and ended up at the bottom of the stairwell with a badly sprained ankle. On the bright side, I can now say definitively that the word 'stomach' does not have an 'e' on the end.

Never met a cat I didn't like. Or penguin. Or dragon. Or solar eclipse. (Or lunar eclipse, for that matter.)

But I have had some rather nasty chocolate, and a few bad experiences at the mall.

And smoked oysters are Right Out.

I like to collect the "You Are Here" emblems of society -- The certifications, the diplomas, the by-lines and photo credits in the company newsletters. Victory snatched from the jaws of defeat on the fourth try.

Yes, I like to keep trying when I know I can win. It's hard to stop trying when I've put a lot of effort into a failing cause, but sometimes the only way to stop failing is to stop going round the same damn circle.

Because life isn't a circle.

It's a spiral. Going up, or down, or sideways into another dimension.

And as long as the road ahead is strange yet eerily familiar, I know I'm alive.

No comments: