Monday, December 15, 2008

Sentience on the surface of reality

(walks up to blog and erects sign)

Memes Under Construction
Hard Hat Area

A few minutes ago, while wreaking havoc on one of My usual forums, I started pondering the work of Pierre Teilhard de Chardin.

Specifically, I started wondering about the hypothesis that consciousness is an innate property of matter, and that greater complexity and interconnection leads to greater levels of awareness. (q.v., Teilhard de Chardin's concept of the noosphere).

(The Internet itself makes a case for this... It has developed a life of its own. And a few gods, as well. :-D)

But as I sat here knitting a scarf for a tiefling friend of My daughter, My attention turned to the needles that were performing the actual work. It's their boundaries that define them. Just as the surface of *sip* this glass of Green Chartreuse *sip* defines its... Darn, it's all gone. What was I saying, again?

Oh, yes. Imagine, if you will, a collective sentience that gets bigger as the universe expands... Thinking with its surface area, not with its insides. And smaller spheres of interconnectedness that grow into greater awareness as they expand their boundaries.

Think big, and look for the connections between Everything and Everything Else. We now return you to your regularly scheduled reality.

No comments: