Thursday, December 25, 2008

An odd little week, this.

As December 25th wobbles to a close and collapses snoring in a pile of shredded wrapping paper, I'm taking this opportunity to catch up on My reporting of life at Astrejurhof. Things have been busy, extraordinarily so; and yet, everywhere I've turned there's been truly remarkable synchronicity.

Like yesterday's shopping trip... I got off work at 12 noon; walked out the door and three minutes later caught a bus that took Me exactly where I needed to be. Went speed-shopping, going to six stores over a distance of seven city blocks, and making purchases at four of them. Arrived at the bus stop just in time to catch another bus that took Me straight home. (And with five minutes left on the original transfer, no less.)

On Tuesday night, Red and I and a friend performed a moving job for a relative. Three people; two short trips with a small pickup truck and a rather brave '01 Cavalier; a crescent wrench, a couple of screwdrivers, and some duct tape; three tables, two chests of drawers, and a double bed, duly moved. Getting the smaller of the two dressers into the back seat of the Cavy was actually fun, in a weird kind of way.

Today, the roast duck was done to a turn; and, in this blissful Henkell Trocken-numbed state I successfully emptied out the custom-built closet where I keep most of My musical instruments. Managed to fit several single-drawer filing cabinets into the space... Again with the 'synchronicity' theme, the closet was just wide enough (a scant 3 centimetres of horizontal clearance) to install them two abreast. So now I have room to put away some music books and ring binders and electronics gizmoi, which are Legion. Oh, and the closet beside the large one is just wide enough to hold two more guitar cases and a Roland JV-80, too.

But I must admit that I'm looking forward to taking Boxing Day off. Really taking it off, as in 'staying home and not doing much of anything.'

Except, perhaps, eating mass quantities of chocolate and finishing off this bottle of sparkling wine. Happy holidays to one and all!

No comments: