Monday, November 17, 2008

Attention, progress... and satisfaction.

Bit by bit, I am starting to get My inner polymath under control. Gone (at least for the time being) are new projects standing on the shoulders of older, unfinished ones. Gone, the desire to do seventeen things at the same moment (thereby guaranteeing that none of them will get a fair shake).

What I'm attempting to cultivate now is serial attention. If something needs to be done, it goes to the front of the line and everything else is put on 'pause'.

This has many tangible benefits. For one thing, I don't have to wonder about what to do next; I just do it. For another, My mind is much less chatty and doesn't get in the way as much. When I'm doing Project_A with full attention, I tend to not even think about Project_B; but, if I do, it's easier to get back on track.

Today, this phenomenon manifested in My karate class and enabled Me to finally assimilate the closing sequence in Heian Godan. Although I don't need to know this kata yet, it'll be there when I do need it.

I also had a particularly good clarinet practice this afternoon, working primarily on a D minor study from the David Hite book Melodious and Progressive Studies, Book 1.

Onward to test out My hypothesis that focused attention makes life much, much more pleasant.

No comments: