Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Floored! (Part the Third)

Tuesday afternoon I made yet another attempt to get My study floor into a semblance of order.

For those of you just tuning in, I've been intermittently trying to level the floor in the room that adjoins My office on the second floor of a 95-year-old house. Long before Red and Chala and various cats and I moved in, some unknown event caused the front part of the house to sag. Repairs were attempted by an unknown party, but not particularly good repairs.



If you look closely at the joist in the foreground of the above picture, you will see three, count 'em, three separate pieces of wood pretending to be a joist. The real one is the one in the middle, and off to the right you can see how I chose to deal with large gaps -- Custom-cut 2" lumber to match the desired taper, and glue and screw down onto the top of the proper joist.

Like this:



Here you can see the old joist, on the bottom; the old piece of tongue-and-groove lumber reinforcing it on the east side; The angled board that I cut to fit; and an additional 2x4 that brings it up to the correct height. At this point (roughly in the center of the floor), the drop from the starting point in the northwest corner is now over four inches.

And yes, I did count the cats after I put the floorboards back down at the end of the night.

No comments: