Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Tooth or Consequences

Ow. Three hours in the dentist chair today.

Three.

Frigging.

Hours.

I'm a patient of the local university's dental clinic, which gives me access to state-of-the-art work at very reasonable cost. The upside, and downside, is that a great deal of the work must be checked by the student dentist's instructor -- who is frequently a few stations down the floor, checking or assisting other students.  It can take a while to move from Step A to Step B, let alone to K or L or X.

As for my aching jaw, it wasn't so much the dental work (large composite filling at the very back of my mouth) as holding my jaw wide open for prolonged periods of time.

It is an interesting way to spend a Tuesday afternoon, though, especially a bitterly cold January one. I've become an expert at pantomiming "Hand me the suction" and have been known to play with the up/down buttons on the chair when no one's looking. Added words like 'buccal' and 'mesial' to my vocabulary.

But I don't think I'll play clarinet till sometime tomorrow... (sucks back another cup of warm tea)

No comments: