Friday, April 6, 2007

Blog against theocracy: A Canadian heiðinn's perspective

Midway through a cold and windy Good Friday afternoon, I sit here at my desk and ponder the truly baffling events occurring south of the border.

In my forty-nine years in this particular body I have visited the United States only a handful of times, never going further south than NYC. Perhaps some people think that I, a non-resident and non-citizen, speak out of turn. For the record, I have family in the States: Brother, sister-in-law, niece, nephew, cousin, aunt. I have friends and acquaintances down there: Old schoolmates, teachers, bandmates, artists, and many nearly-anonymous Internet penpals.

And I worry about them.

I have tried to bring myself up to speed on the intricacies of U.S. governance -- Enough, at least, to know of the Establishment Clause; Thomas Paine's Age of Reason; Dominionists; the Lemon Test.

It amazes me and saddens me to see the truly nonsensical debates on issues that were supposedly put to rest centuries ago. To see disdain for scientific method in a country that claims Ben Franklin and Thomas Edison and adopted Albert Einstein as its own. To hear the ravings of public figures who think blind obedience is a virtue and who view the world through a simplistic us-versus-them lens.

To watch helplessly as theocrats dismantle the work of Frederick Douglass, Susan B. Anthony, Thomas Jefferson, Elizabeth Cady Stanton, John Dewey, Margaret Sanger.

And I worry about you.

But I know, and history shows time and time again, that you have the will to take back your birthright. May you safely emerge from this nightmare with even greater strength and resolve.


A Springy Goddess contribution to the 2007 blogswarm at http://www.firstfreedomfirst.org/

4 comments:

Traveling Man said...

Don't worry about us. We'll make it through. After all, we disposed of McCarthy.

My mum was from Quebec, and I have fond memories of visiting your fair country. Always a delightful time with delightful people.

Have a great spring! And know someone down south wishes you well.

TM

Thorne said...

Thank you!

Heidi said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
VirusHead said...

Sorry about the previous deletion - I signed into the wrong blogger/google account. Sigh.

Anyway, thank you for your worry. I worry too. We had become complacent, but more and more people are starting to understand what is happening - and in so many ways - to our country. We are a hopeful and practical people, and I harbor hope that we will be able to turn all this around.