(pulls spruce splinters out of her palm) The saga of The New Floor in the Study continues...
I started to put in new joists today and managed to install two 8' pieces of 2x6 spruce. There are a couple of 2x8's down on the front porch, but I probably won't get to them till Monday. I haven't yet decided whether to use them to start the next two reinforcements or to finish the section I worked on today.
It's already obvious that the subfloor took a substantial beating sometime in the last fifty years or so. The original beams are in varying states of disrepair, and reinforced with quite an assortment of materials. Even with those reinforcements, the floor drops several inches from northwest to southeast.
This is not too much of a surprise, however. A year and a half ago, when I put a new subfloor on top of a small section (The "office" part of the room where I do my computing and blogging), there was a differential of 2½ inches from west to east. Nice and level now, though.
But now... Time for a nice, hot, lavender-scented bubble bath.
As for these splinters, nothing that Cure Light Wounds (and three or four days) can't fix.